Monday, May 19, 2014

Scatter.

Two things struck me yesterday that ended up becoming a small theme of reflection.

First, I got to share the parable of the Sower and the Seeds with two young boys at Sunday School. It was a story that came up last minute simply because we don't generally have children that come to our small church and, when they do sporadically come, I have a few things up my sleeve I know I can share with them.  This parable was easy-peasy, understandable and relatable...and something I wouldn't have to spend a lot of time "studying for." Perfect.

But, of course, God's word is powerful and living (Hebrews 4:12) and the minute I started sharing it with the kids (from memory), He started showing me what was in it for my personal application.

A sower went out to sow his seed.

Sow seeds. That was the only thing that this sower was responsible for. He wasn't responsible for where the seeds were sown, how the seeds grew, what kind of fruit that seed bears. He just simply went out to sow seeds...knowing that what happened after he did his job would be the work of nature.

The seed is the word of God.

I am to sow God's word. This is my calling as put forth by the Great Commission in Matthew 28. "Go...make disciples..."This is my responsibility. I am not responsible for picking and choosing where I sow God's word, or how it affects the people to whom I share it with. I am simply called to sow. To scatter His seed. This doesn't mean I pick and choose. Who am I to look at one person and think "oh, they're probably like the thorny ground" or "the birds of the air are going to eat these seeds, better not..."

Years ago, I helped a friend of mine plant her garden. We took handfuls of seeds and planted them and I recall her saying something along the lines of "plant as many seeds as you can. Some of them wont grow, but the more you plant, the more chance you have of getting a fruitful garden." Scatter those seeds! It is my pleasure to sow as many seeds as possibly, knowing that His job is to cultivate the good soil to receive it. His job is to grow the seed into bountiful fruit. His job is to feed and water it.

How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? 
And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? 
And how shall they hear without a preacher? 
Romans 10:14 NKJV

So, who scatters? 

Secondly, in the evening service I attended, we were studying Joshua 8. Among other points in the sermon, a challenge was put forth over the question of "who?" Who is called to do the work of the Lord?

Take all the people of war with you.

In this chapter, the whole army was called forth to go to battle against Ai. It wasn't just a small group of people (they tried that...it didn't work). It was everyone. They were to act as a full army, not as just one small company.

Who? all of us. Doing the Lord's work isn't just for ministers, pastors, church workers, bible study leaders, missionaries, etc. The Lord's work is for the body of Christ...of which, if you are a professed believer in Jesus Christ, born again through the acceptance of His death on the cross and resurrection three days later, you are a part of that body.

For as the body is one 
and has many members, 
but all the members of that one body, 
being many, 
are one body, 
so also is Christ. 
1 Corinthians 12:12 NKJV

Be a part of the body, beloved brothers and sisters.

Be a part of the army marching forth and claiming victory for Christ.

Know who our captain is.

It is the Holy Spirits's job to bring conviction.

It is the Lord's job to bring salvation.

It is our pleasure to share His gospel.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is awesome Erika!! I'm just re-learning the SAME THINGS in my Nehemiah study. The whole body must put their hands to the work of God. Everyone did their part in building the wall, whether it was their little section in front of their house (Nehemiah 3:10), or they traveled from far away (Jericho -Nehemiah 3:1, Gibeon - 3:7). ALL in the family of Christ are called to do the work of God. - the Great Commission! Love it!!!!