Thursday, February 4, 2010

Who am i?

I am uniquely me. I like to rub my boots together when I'm walking just to hear the "swoosh swoosh" of them. I smile at my thoughts. Sometimes at night, I ask the Lord to speak to me in my dreams. I am a sister, a daughter, a secretary, a creative thinker, a crier, a laugher. I can't lie. Sometimes, I say things without thinking about the consequence of my words first. Most weeks, I don't shower daily. I don't sing well. I sing with abandon. Sometimes, I am scared of what I don't know. I feel differently than I think. Often, I smile and laugh and live in the moment. I don't like the dark. Sometimes, I do think too hard about the outfit I'm going to wear. I don't always know what I'm talking about. Often, I love others without a thought of reciprocation. I have a low pain tolerance. There are times I have looked in the mirror and now known the person looking back. Every day, I drink coffee. If you ask me how I'm doing, I will tell you. Sometimes, I cry and can't explain why. I have never liked to balance my checkbook. I love chocolate. I enjoy harmless jokes, but hate when I am the butt of them.

There are so many statements that make up "who I am."
There are so many answers to the question "tell me about yourself?"
But do any of these suffice?
Don't each of these statements help me to relate to someone else...
because that someone else is also...like me?

O Lord, You have searched me and known me.
(I am searched by the Lord. I am known by the Lord.)
You know my sitting down and my rising up;
(I am seen by the Lord when I sit and when I rise)
You understand my thought afar off.
(I am understood by the Lord even before I understand myself)
You comprehend my path and my lying down,
(I am made to take the Lord's paths and rest in His knowledge)
And are acquainted with all my ways.
(I am never going to surprise Him)
For there is not a word on my tongue,
But behold, O Lord, You know it altogether.
(I am heard before I can hear)
You have hedged me behind and before,
(I am protected from my past and into my future)
And laid Your hand upon me.
(I am directed by His steady hand)
---
Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is high, I cannot attain it.
Psalm 139:1-6


Every day, I talk with the Lord.
Every day, He holds me in His arms.
Every day, I can confidently say that I am my Beloved's and He is mine.

Every day, I am me. And what I am...is who God made me.

This is why I am unique. This is why the statements that I can make about myself pale when placed in comparison with the way the Lord loves me, sees me, knows me...

creates me.

No comments: