Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I’ll cross that bridge when I get to it…

I grew up with terms and phrases such as “worry wart", “stop worrying”, “don’t worry about it”, and “you don’t know if that’s going to happen” being a rather common part of my life.

I worried. I couldn’t go to sleep because I was too busy forming an escape route in case of a fire (ok, don’t laugh, I know I’m not the only one…). I constantly asked questions and was aware of my surroundings out of fear that something could go wrong.  Granted, I was (in a matter of speaking) a normal child, but I have always fretted and wondered about things I didn’t need to. From worrying if my friends were having fun to worrying if we were going to get somewhere in time…I definitely had the gold medal in worry!

Well, worry quickly translates to fear when it isn’t confronted or given over to the Lord. What keeps you up wondering at night begins to keep you from taking a step forward the next day…

Fast forward to the present, I told you in this post how the Lord confronted my fears last year. I spoke of the Lord teaching me a lot about fears of unknown territories, fears of uncontrollable circumstances, and fears of unforeseen changes.

---

I am heading to a Pastor’s/Leader’s/Worker’s Conference next Monday. At that conference there are beautiful trails and paths to take that lead you through some of the most beautiful and glorious views of our Lord’s creation.

There is one path in particular that is forever engrained in my mind. This path cuts back and forth between creeks and paths, down into lush greenery and past a few summer camps. At one point, your eyes look down the path and fall upon one large suspension bridge.

Wooden boards line it, suspension coming out from all different angles form beautiful arches holding it in place over a deep ravine. It sways back and forth under the pressure of the feet that cross it—sometimes even slightly rocking as those same feet desire to “test its strength.’

To continue the trail, you have to cross it.To cross it, you have to step onto it. To step onto it, you have to propel your mind, body, and emotions to go forward.

You know, for me, it’s a lot harder than you think. Crossing bridges is akin to many peoples fear of spiders, snakes, heights, etc. Bridges and Erika have never really gotten along.

Last year, this bridge and Erika were not friends.

But, this year, I am going to cross that bridge when I get to it.

And then, as I am brought to the edge of a real or proverbial bridge in my future, I will cross that one too.

And I am going to continue this trail that the Lord has laid out for me by propelling my feet to step out onto these bridges towards the rest of the beautiful trail before me.

"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the LORD your God is with you wherever you go." Joshua 1:9

No comments: