Sunday, November 14, 2010

Silence.

Silence is deafening and peaceful. It is welcoming and painful. It can be cut through with a knife or swallowed by the spoonful. Sometimes, silence is necessary. Sometimes, it is unwanted. Often times, we could use more of it. Rarely, it is asked for.

The bible tells us to be quick to listen and slow to speak. I like to translate this in my mind as “shut up and you will be able to hear so much more than your own presumptuous thoughts.”

I have been silent on my blog for over a month. On purpose? Yes. Acknowledged? Of course. Significant? Not really.

You see…when I first started this blog I asked for accountability in allowing this blog to only glorify my Lord and not myself. And as I think about sharing things on this blog, I am called to filter it through the question of “who is this glorifying: you or Him?” When that answer didn’t satisfy my conviction, I chose to stay silent. It was painful and refreshing.

I want to share with you the ways the Lord has blessed me. I want to write down the ways that He charms me and loves me. I want to attempt to put into words the ways He seeks me out each and every day.

And it’s not always going to be a Holywood film. It’s not (ever) going to be a Christian romance novel. It probably will seem mundane and insignificant to you. But to me, it proves that I am still His Beloved. It reminds me that He cares enough to walk with me down the street and see a flower along the path.

I read this blog a few days ago. She talks about the In-Between times…those times that aren’t important enough to be written down or insignificant enough to be shown in a film. The times where we are simply “abiding in Christ” as John 15 talks about…and I completely resounded with it. I am an in-betweener right now and the Lord has called me to see the beautiful significance of abiding, surviving, waiting, and holding on.

And so, from now until the end of the year, I am challenging myself to take time each day to reflect on the Lord’s love for me. To chronicle those insignificant times of surviving so that I can thrive by abiding in Him.

To give words to the silence.

Will you join me?

“Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart Be acceptable in Your sight, O LORD, my strength and my Redeemer.” Psalm 19:14

No comments: